Monday 28 March 2011

Shopkeeper of the Week - SjGuest Home Textiles


The work of SjGuest is hard to categorise, easily falling under the genres of Pop Art, Surrealism and even Orientalism. One thing is certain is that she likes colour and expertly creates eye-popping combinations that surprise and delight. Think blue frogs on acid yellow, Purple flying ducks and psychedelic zig-zags.




Her work is both fun but also highly sophisticated; beautifully made silk cushions, lampshades, upholstered furniture and vibrant prints add up to a unique and exciting collection.





Here we take a few moments out with SjGuest to discuss

How would you describe your work?

A colour popping, imaginative feast of scrummy textiles for your home, brought to you with a personal touch and sense of fun. Offering bespoke services and one off pieces.


Who/what are your biggest influences?

I have always be inspired by Missoni and Vercaces use of colour and pattern.


I also love the work of illustrator Alan Aldridge. But I have to say my biggest influences are often the close network of designer friends I am lucky enough to be surrounded by.

Where is your favourite spring/summer place to visit for inspiration?

Probably Portobello Market but it depends what I am working on, different places appeal for different reasons. I like to keep a camera on me all the time to snap great things when I see them!


What is your favourite item from your current collection?

I am a big fan of my blue duck cushion (if i do say so myself), I think it is a real statement piece and really sums up my style. Perfect for the British spring/summer season.



Do you have any new items/collections about to be launched?

I am currently working on a range of lampshades, that will be launching soon, and a very special limited collection to celebrate the Royal wedding.


What do you enjoy most about being one of the shops in The Secret Arcade?

Its great to be part of a network of great designers and shop owners. I have certainly made some great friends who sell in the homes passage, its given my online store virtual neighbours who are just as helpful as real ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment