Friday 18 February 2011

Shopkeeper of the Week - Ghost


This week we're taking a peek into the world of Ghost Furniture. Di Overton's Northumberland workshop and online boutique has been described as a 'flea market gone mad' and we'd add that it was possibly one of the first businesses entirely dedicated to upcylcing!



Di has a wonderful and unique style that has fans around the world. Think baroque, think concrete tassels, think chairs dressed up in antique clothes and you're getting there!

Here we take five with Di to chat about what inspires her. There's also currently a 50% sale on selected items in her shop!


How would you describe your work?

Bringing quality furniture back from the dead and making it hauntingly beautiful. Taking vintage finds and turning them into new and beautiful items with a touch of 21st century eco-chic.


Who/what are your biggest influences?

My biggest influence is what is around me at any one time. The world is full of inspiration. Being inspired by others can stop you creating your own individual style. I do share what inspires me on the Ghost Furniture website, we have a page showing some of our designs and what influenced me to create them. I did this with the intention of showing people how to be inspired.



Where is your favourite spring/summer place to visit for inspiration?

I live in the Northumberland National Park so all I have to do is look out of my window or take a walk up the lane and I can be influenced. In Spring/Summer it is a delight. Little lambs in the meadows full of wild flowers makes it the perfect place for inspiration.

What is your favourite item from your current collection?

It always seems to be the one I am working on at the moment but if I had to look at the collection as it stands now it would have to be the Marie Antoinette Chair.


Do you have any new items/collections about to be launched?

I am about to launch the Spring Collection which is influenced by decadence. 1930s satins, rich dark golds, blacks, dark greys and pops of vivid colours.




What do you enjoy most about being one of the shops in The Secret Arcade?

It's the closest I can get to having a shop in a Paris Arcade which has always appealed to me. Also it is perfect to be surrounded by other designers I admire.

You can visit Ghost Furntiure as shop No. 4 in the Homewares Passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment